Today we look at how to get more for less. Add more volume, chew appeal and nutrition to a favorite dish while subtracting unwanted calories.
Our dish for today is a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich made on white bread with mayonnaise.
- Calories 470
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates 34 g
- Sodium 1,130 mg
After our conversion to a clean salad with more fiber, no refined starch, and less sodium and fat than the sandwich:
- Calories 140 (330 less)
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g (5.2 g less)
- Carbohydrates 8 g (26 g less)
- Sodium 165 mg (965 mg less)
See how we do it and what dish we create…
Bacon, Cherry Tomato, and Avocado Salad
- Serves :8
- Serving size 1 1/2 cups salad, 2 Tbsp dressing
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Marinating Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 6 to 10 minutes
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp salt-free Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar or sugar substitute
- Combine the tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, and red onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and add to the tomato mixture. Toss well and let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour prior to serving so the flavors can blend.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon for 3 to 5 minutes per side, until crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet. Cool for 5 minutes. Coarsely chop the bacon.
- Add the greens to a shallow platter. Top with the tomato mixture and garnish with the cooked bacon and fresh basil.
Per Serving: Calories 140, Total Fat 11 g (Sat.Fat 1.7 g), Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 165 mg, Potassium 435 mg, Total Carbohydrates 8 g (Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4 g), Protein 3 g, Phosphorus 60 mg Choices: Nonstarchy Vegetables 1, Fat 2.5